Sunday 17 January 2010

La Manga

As I mentioned elsewhere, I was going stir crazy sat at home looking out of my window at the snow, so I packed up to La Manga to leave everyone to it. I'm not sure what to expect here but it does seem quiet, and the geezer who came round to fix the boiler said that the whole operation has been struggling a bit over the last year. It's not a major surprise as renting, or even owning, a property here is going to be one of the first things people cut when times get tough.

Anyway, that's not my problem ; it might even be to my benefit as I think I have a pretty good deal on the rental. On the course, I have been steadily improving. It's a lot different to Enfield :), and I did find it very difficult on the first round. I won't give you my list of excuses, er I mean reasons why. I did a bit better today, my total score wasn't exceptional because if I find trouble then it tends to be big trouble and that can easily put a few high numbers on the card to bust a good score. Apart from that I managed 5 pars and 4 bogeys today, 14 pts v scratch, which is pretty close to what I should be doing handicap-wise (I calculate mine to be 23 at the moment based on scores back home). One thing in my favour is that it's not a very long course, and I'm starting to judge the greens much better (they're very quick).

I have a lot to do to be more relaxed on the course, although it was better today. I wouldn't go as far as the Danish estate agent I played 9 holes with the other day, who didn't even keep score ! Maybe I should do that for one round to see how it feels. But if I was doing well I'd definitely want to count it back :). Meditation ought to help with staying in the present moment - forgetting the last hole (good or bad) and thinking ahead to what score I might end up with are both distractions that I want to minimize. It's easier said than done though, like when someone says "Don't think about an elephant !". Go on, don't. Not that easy is it ? Anyway this is all a bit philosophical for a couple of weeks in the sun whacking a golf ball around. It's very good for me fitness wise, I'm cooking for myself, eating well and all in all it should make a good detox, not that I'm all that toxed up usually !

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete